CANTON, NY — The Canton Police Department wants to remind residents to keep their vehicles locked amid a recent spike in vehicle break-ins around the Village.
There has been a recent uptick in thefts from motor vehicles in the overnight
and early morning hours. Thefts have been reported in many parts of the Village, with the majority of them involving vehicles that are left parked in driveways.
There are a number of ways to reduce the risks of becoming a victim.
1) Residents are reminded to always lock their vehicles- even when parked in the
driveway or unlocked garage. Ensure that all windows are closed.
2) Never leave the key(s) inside of the vehicle.
3) Enable any anti-theft or security features on the vehicle.
4) Park in well-lit portions of driveways or parking lots.
5) Never leave valuables inside of the vehicle, especially if they can be seen from
the outside. Lock valuables inside of the trunk or glove box or remove them to
6) Loose change is especially desired at this time and is fairly easy to see in center
consoles, cup holders, etc. Secure or remove it all together.
7) If you experience a vehicle break in and it occurs with the Village of Canton
limits, please report it to the Canton Police Department in a timely manner. The
phone number is (315)386-4561.
The Canton PD wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!