SYRACUSE, NY – The Syracuse Regional Airport Authority (SRAA) announced today that preparations are underway for an anticipated uptick in travelers at Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR) this holiday season.
With health at the forefront of travel concerns, the SRAA has implemented numerous mitigation efforts at SYR to combat the spread of illnesses such as COVID-19.
• Hospital-grade misting systems for the custodial team to clean and disinfect all seating areas throughout the airport
• UV-C upper room units in high-traffic areas such as the security checkpoint and arrival locations reducing the risk of airborne disease transmission
• UV-C units in the HVAC air handling units to help circulate purified air throughout the airport
• Escalator handrail sanitizers continuously using UV-C light to disinfect all escalator handrails at SYR
• Signage throughout the airport encouraging social distancing when possible
• Masks are encouraged while in the airport, and required by all airlines that serve SYR
• Hand sanitizing stations placed throughout the terminal
“Protecting the health and safety of our employees, passengers, and guests remains our top priority heading into this holiday travel season,” said SRAA Executive Director Jason Terreri.
“Passengers can expect to see both technology and protocols that ensure their journey is as safe and healthy as possible.”
Both traffic levels and air service are increasing at SYR. October 2020 saw a 21% increase in travelers at SYR over September 2020. The return of Allegiant’s nonstop service to Punta Gorda this month as well as the return of Frontier’s nonstop service to Fort Myers and Tampa in December bode well for continuing the upward trend in passengers.
As passenger traffic levels continue to slowly rebound, airlines have modified – and continue to modify – their flight offerings. The SRAA strongly encourages all travelers to check the status of their flight directly with their airline.
For more information about destinations served by nonstop service out of Syracuse, please visit the airport’s Destination Page.