Malfunctioning dehumidifier cited as cause of fire on N. Pearl Avenue in Watertown

Date: 07/10/21

Time: 2113 hour

Incident: Structure Fire

Location: 245 N. Pearl Ave, Watertown NY 13601

Companies Responding: C Platoon- Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Truck 1, Chief 3

Owner: Paul J. Green

Situation found: Companies arrived within 3 minutes to find smoke coming from the doors, windows and eaves of a 1 story single family residence. The lone occupant had evacuated prior to FD arrival. Companies advanced a hoseline into the basement in heavy smoke and zero visibility and quickly extinguished a fire in the basement of the residence. No injuries were reported, and damage was confined to the basement with some smoke damage throughout. Companies operated for just over 2 hours at this incident. Fort Drum FD was called to scene for a RIT Team. WPD, Watertown Codes Department, Water Dept and GEMS also assisted at scene. Building was released back to the owner at the conclusion of the incident. WFD units also handled 2 other emergency calls while units were still operating at the structure fire.

Cause: Probable malfunctioning dehumidifier found in area of origin


Battalion Chief Chris Hayman
City of Watertown Fire Department