SYRACUSE, NY — National Grid is increasing staffing through this evening and closely monitoring an upstate New York weather forecast that calls for thunderstorms and high winds. In anticipation of the adverse weather, National Grid crews are prepared, and the company offers customers the following safety reminders:
Electricity & Generator Safety
• If a power outage occurs, customers can notify National Grid online to expedite restoration.
• Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Downed
lines should immediately be reported to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or by calling 911.
• Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors to
prevent the buildup of deadly carbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, be sure to
disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the
electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger our crews and your neighbors.
• Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator,
should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-6424272. (In a
medical emergency, always dial 911.)
• Keep working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home and be sure to charge
all electronic devices before the storm.
• Please use caution when driving near emergency responders and crews restoring power.
• Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need
assistance during an outage.
Stay informed and connected
• Customers with active electricity accounts who text ‘REG’ to 64743 can receive
personalized alerts via text, email or phone call when we detect an outage on their
premises. Customers also can text ‘OUT’ to 64743 to report an outage.
• For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm
safety information, visit National Grid’s Outage Central website. Customers who create an
online profile also can sign up for email alerts.
• Visit our website: www.nationalgridus.com, follow us on Twitter and friend us on Facebook.