WFD: Carelessly discarded cigarette listed as cause of fire on S. Rutland St.

Date: 6-17-21       Time: 1744         Incident: Structure Fire

Location: 307 S. Rutland St.

Companies Responding:  E-1, E-2, E-3, T-1

Owner:  Robert A. Davis

Address:  307 S. Rutland St.

Situation found:  Upon arrival of FD units, first arriving Engine Co. 2 found heavy fire on the second floor of a 2 ½ story wood frame duplex. Initial reports indicated that an occupant may still be inside. Crews made an aggressive attack quickly knocking down the fire and performing a search for any trapped victims. The searches proved negative. The fire had advanced into the attic space and ceilings were pulled to access the attic and the fire was extinguished.

Fire damage was confined to the second floor and small portion of the attic, with smoke and water damage throughout. One occupant of the second floor apartment was home at the time of the fire and they escaped prior to FD arrival after being awakened by their dog which perished in the blaze. There were no working smoke detectors in the structure. One dog and one cat perished in the fire, 2 cats were rescued and are unharmed.

Cause:  Carelessly discarded cigarette

Remarks: WFD units were assisted at the scene by Fort Drum FD RIT team, Guilfoyle Ambulance and WPD. Town of Watertown FD provided a ladder company for station standby.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.