WFD: Never leave a stove unattended while cooking

Date: July 19, 2021

Time: 1500 hours

Incident: Structure Fire

Location: 2466 Alexandra Meadows

Companies Responding: Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Truck 1, Chief 3

Owner: Summit Wood Homes, LLC; Buffalo, NY

Situation Found: Units arrived to find a working structure fire at the above address
with smoke coming from the front of the building and fire venting out the rear. Crews began an aggressive interior attack and knocked the main body of fire down quickly. The living unit was overhauled searching for any extension of fire and extinguishing remaining pockets of fire. Two occupants were home at the time of the incident and were uninjured. The fire was contained to the single living unit with no extension to other units. The involved unit sustained smoke, heat, and water damage, however all other units in the building were unaffected and were reoccupied at the time of this report. Occupants from the involved unit were not able to reoccupy and made other arrangements. No firefighters or civilians were injured at this incident. There were working smoke detectors present in the living unit.

Cause: Unattended cooking on the stove.

Remarks: City Fire was assisted at the scene by Watertown Police Department,
Guilfoyle Ambulance, Ft. Drum Fire Department, City Codes Department, City Water
Department, and National Grid. Town of Watertown Fire Department also assisted
recalled city crews by standing by with their ladder truck at Station 1 on S. Massey St.

This incident serves as a reminder to never leave a stove unattended while cooking.

 

Acting Battalion Chief
William P. Bragger